Monday, February 23, 2009

Soothing my Spirit


There is a pacific bump coming in creating 10 foot wave faces and the surfers are extatic. Watching their faces as they stand on the cliff above Hono Bay and watch their peers catch perfect faces makes me smile. There are lots of things in life that give me that feeling. I love finding old letters from my Mom or grandmother and discovering some new family story that I did not know. An afternoon nap after working hard, a beautiful sunset, calling a good friend, lunch at a favorite spot (my deck), a road trip with great music cranking on the radio, the middle of a good book (I hate for them to end). I used to get that feeling when it snowed and I knew Mark and I might get to go skiing. Now snow makes me wonder if the snowblower will start...but i still love to watch it fall. The thrill of something like skiing or surfing are not the things that make me tingle. I wish they still did. Getting older changes things (so does bad knees). But that which has replaced those active exciting things are good too. The peak of this what gives us pleasure is to return to being 2 or 3 and being like Jesus Marcos or Archer and have the same feeling they show us when they see a butterfly or for Archer Burt and Ernie. I do think I am starting to return to that "little things amaze" me part of life. That is a good place to be right now. Excuse me...I have to go watch a bird eat bread crumbs off the patio.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice!!

Kelly said...

Oh, Aunt Shan, we sure do miss you! Something that puts a smile on our faces is anticipating you and Lavonne coming to town. You always make us happy! Hopefully, we'll get to see you sometime soon.